Sunday, October 10, 2010

Smoked Marlin and broccoli chowder @ Tutmak

The health kick continues...


This was the first of two dishes I saw in Ubud using smoked marlin.  Is smoked marlin generally an Indonesian specialty?  I have no idea.  But any smoked fish does it for me.  And teamed with the words “chowder” and “broccoli”, I could not resist. 

The soup came out in a medium-sized bowl (I would have preferred bigger, given it was the only thing I was going to eat).  The fish was flaked and its pinkie-smokiness made it somewhat meaty – in a good way.  The soup itself was rich in flavour and smooth in texture, although a little salty.  The broccoli – my favourite vegetable, alas, not available in Oecusse - was nourishing, and its little flowers burst in my mouth with more of the soup flavour that was hiding amongst them.   I think I would have preferred a little less crunch to the broccoli stems, but that was only a minor issue.

A major issue was the measly couple of bits of crouton served with the bread.  Come on, Tutmak!  Fill me up with a few more, please.  Those two bits of crouton tasted heavenly though, spread generously with the slightly-salted butter and then dipped into the soup to make little balls of fat float on the surface and the butter on the toast shine like melted yellow pearls.  Mmmm. 

No comments: