Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gado Gado @ Warung Semester


This cute little cafe at the bottom end of Monkey Forest Road (not far from the Monkey Forest) makes me feel like I’m in some quaint Nordic cafe in the middle of a heatwave.  It’s all a bit “Ikea”.   
The name “Warung Semester” indicates something to do with a university term, but as far as I know there is no university around here.  (A warung is a small restaurant.)

While the decor doesn’t scream “Indonesia!”, happily, the menu does.  In keeping with my “wholesome nourishment” theme, I ordered a mixed juice (no banana) and Wade ordered a vanilla lassie. 


Yummy.  Blended papaya, watermelon, orange and pineapple with ice.  The lassie was reeeeally good – just enough yoghurt tang nicely balanced by the exotic vanilla.

I had to order the Gado Gado, as it is my staple in Indonesia, and it was at this point that I remembered why anyone goes to Indonesia, ever:


Look!  It’s got DEEP FRIED, CRISPY SPINACH!! 

At first glance, when I saw the kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) drizzled over the top, I was disappointed, thinking, “Der.  Don’t they even know that Gado Gado is supposed to have peanut sauce?!”

But then I dismantled the tower of crispy spinach, juicy fried tofu, crunchy tempeh and hard boiled egg quarters and found a delightful little mound of steamed mixed vegetables (bean shoots, carrots, more spinach), tossed delicately through a creamy, peanutty satay.

It. Was. Perfect.

Wade ordered a tempeh burger with chips:


He remarked that it was pretty good, although I personally think they were a bit light on the chips (although they were delicious).

No comments: