Monday, September 20, 2010

Leftovers for lunch #1: Fish cakes with two salads


We had some fishcakes left over one day, which I had actually made from leftovers from the fridge – some tinned salmon, boiled potatoes and a smidgen of Malaysian-style home made curry paste.

On this particular day, I had been perving at the fantastic vegan blog, Easy as (Vegan) Pie, with my mouth watering at all the yummy salads, including a delicious guacamole and the handful salad, on which I based the two salads here.

Oecusse has excellent avocados (when they’re around).  They have a slightly higher water content than the Hass variety, but are still really good eating, especially when they are perfectly ripe, like this one was.  I added some halved cherry tomatoes, finely sliced red shallots (available in abundance here, but substitute for Spanish onion at home), sprinkled over some lime juice, Tabasco, salt and pepper.  Too easy.

For the couscous salad I boiled up some peace, love and mung beans, which took about 15 minutes.  Then I added grated carrot, some chopped basil and rocket from the garden.  I toasted up some raw  peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds for crunch.  The dollopy goodness on top is simply a mixture of tahini and yoghurt, which is one of my new favourite things.  I sometimes eat it by the spoonful.

No comments: