Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bacon and Eggs, Castaway Bar and Restaurant, Dili


This was actually a really tasty breakfast at Castaways. I have had many, so I’m a good judge.


One thing about this place: they really know how to cook crispy bacon, and today was no exception.

Often I’ve had disappointing eggs here (clear liquid weeping into the toast – not good). But today, the eggs were intact but not rubbery, and they were flecked with a little tinge of spring onion. Just delightful.

I could take or leave the cheesy grilled tomato; I don’t find it offensive, and when I eat it I can tick off a half-serving of veggies for the day (or is that fruit?). I really wish they would get some decent bread though. This white sliced sugary crap is so unsatisfying.

The coffee is another thing at Castaways that can be below par. There appears to be some consensus amongst coffee makers in shopping centre cafes globally and the Castaway Bar and Restaurant in Dili that it is really cool to layer a latte, so that the coffee sits on the bottom of the glass and the milk on the top. Although this does not affect the flavour, I can’t help but feel that it is an unnecessary appeal to the aesthetic. I don’t want to be reminded of shopping centre cafes. I have been noticing lately that Castaway’s coffee standards are improving though. Once I’d mixed this morning’s coffee all together, it had a good colour to it – not too weak or strong:



And, although I don’t take sugar, I really love the sweet little packets it comes in:


This was an all-round satisfying weekend brunch.

No comments: