Friday, September 3, 2010

Home-made lunch in Dili

Wade and I have been in Dili for a couple of weeks learning Tetun at the Dili Institute of Technology (DIT). It’s good fun, and it’s a nice change to be in Dili, but the one thing I dislike about going to Dili for weeks at a time is the fact that I have to eat out for every meal. I love eating out for a few days, but then I start to crave healthy, home-cooked food.

This is one of the reasons why Wade and I decided to stay at Casa Minha this time: they have kitchen facilities. Nothing fancy, just a little electric stove to make a cup of tea and a few pots.

Here’s the kitchen in our room at Casa Minha.

As it turned out, we didn’t end up cooking much at all. We did, however, buy a few fresh veggies and some bread to make a ploughman’s lunch almost every day. I made these little “ham burgers” one day after our Tetun course, washed down with a glass of guava juice and soda:


I bought the bread rolls from the Turkish restaurant near the ANZ bank. Their bread is the best I’ve found in Dili (and you can also buy it from Tiger Fuel, but it isn’t always fresh). The Turkish restaurant also does yummy, sticky baklava, and whenever I eat it, I get syrupy goodness running down my arms because it’s so juicy.

It was so lovely to eat lunch at home every day. Especially when we were staying in such a nice place.

Cute Casa Minha.

No comments: