Sunday, August 8, 2010

We’ve done some big things to (quite possibly) the smallest kitchen in the world

Arriving in our little beach shack just over a year ago, I was excited at the prospect of living right on the beach, and the house itself was very cute, so I was generally quite excited. But one look at my new kitchen and my reaction was a smidgen less than pleased. It was TINY. The bench space was about the length of a single snake bean. And it was not very nice. To be fair, on this first day there were still many men busily finishing off the house renovations, for which I am now most grateful, but you can imagine my shock when I arrived and I saw that this was the room that I would be spending approximately 50% of my waking hours for the next two years:

Please note that all those HP sauce bottles were leftovers from another era.

Once we moved in and got everything cleaned up, things began to improve... slowly:



This is the cooking area, complete with plastic tubs for storing food, due to the fact that we have only one cupboard. Notice the rocks on top of the right gas hob? They were there because THEY NEEDED TO BE (i.e. there was nothing to sit the pots and pans on).

After a crafty paint job, some much-needed new shelving (thanks to the ever-ingenious Wade), a new sink/drain (ditto), some handy hooks (ditto again), a new gas stove (with a little grill to make toast or kebabs), as well as a whole lot of glass jars, tea canisters, crockery, home-made preserves, herbs, spices, utensils and plastic containers, I can now say that I have grown to love my tiny kitchen. I have everything at my fingertips, and I need only pivot a foot or reach an arm to have exactly what I need. The bench space is still only the length of a snake bean, but I have learnt to work with that. Wash-up-as-you-go is the key.


Photo: thanks to Ronda Freeman.

No comments: